I want to introduce the 20% project we will be doing the 4th quarter. This project will be something you do either by yourself or with a group of up to 5 people. The project will be your final presentation and grade for the semester and you will be doing this in place of a semester final...this is your final.
What is the 20% project?
Basically, this idea was taken from Google and is an experimental project idea. At Google, they decided it would be a great idea to give their employees free, creative time to come up with their own ideas. These ideas became part of their company and Google was able to expand what they do in terms of offering services through their company. Some of these ideas became things like Google search, translator, maps, sites, etc.
Your goal is simple. You have 20% of class time from now until the end of the year to create anything of your choice. Yes, you will get 1 class day per week to research, develop, create, and implement any creation of your choice. At the end of the year, beginning May 11th, you will present what you've came up with to the rest of the class, to other classes, and possibly to administrators (yes like Mr. Stoker). Your main goal is to have created something, researched something, or done something of significant value that you can present. Some ideas that may help you get started are:
1. An in-depth research of a topic of interest like the effects of carbon emissions on the environment and future impacts.
2. A video documentary about poverty and homelessness in Westby...in La Crosse County...in the state of Wisconsin...etc.
3. A task force you have created to help solve a problem like hunger....I know some students are currently doing this and yes this will work.
4. A study and follow up interview on the mentally ill in society and what we are doing to help or hurt them.
5. A demographic breakdown with visual charts, graphs, and organizers of any reach of society like why people vote the way they do or why people consume certain products in society.
6. A personal experience of you and your group volunteering at any organization for a certain cause.
***The possibilities are limitless
The grading criteria will be as simple as I can make it
- Your presentations will account for 100 points and will be based on clarity and dynamic speaking. The presentations can be anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes. Your content will reflect if you've actually done the project.
- You will post a weekly update on my blog (current events blog) on your groups progress (1 paragraph) for 10 points per week
- Group planning and reflection sheets completed at the beginning and at the end of the project for 50 points per completion of each
In the end this is really a wide open project that you can do whatever you want with it. I'm doing this because you are the generation of collaborators and thinkers. In your future you will be working with a variety of people on a variety of different tasks and your creative knowledge will be called upon; so I'm calling on your creative knowledge right now to think and act on your own. To complete this task you'll need to simply find something you are interested in and act on it to the best of your ability. If you procrastinate and blow the project off, you'll get an easy F. If you put your full effort into this you'll get and A+ without a doubt. I'll be able to tell in your presentations.